How to implement data persistence on the server side

Hi @shi-yan,

to be honest, I am new, too. Here is what I’ve found so far, maybe it helps a little bit:

There is a y-leveldb package (which @canadaduane funded, if I’m correct - so thank you @canadaduane ). It is an adapter for the LevelDB databse.
As far as the docs state it the adapter uses level. Level offers the ability to switch the storage medium. Their GitHub Orga has an awesome repo, where you can find some storage adapter packages for level:

You can implement an bidirectional communication between client and server via websockets. Next to the y-websockets module implementation for clients you can find an example server implementation which offers the possibility with persisting data with y-leveldb.
This might be a good starting point for further investigation.

The following answer might help by examining the right data format to store the documents:

Right now YJS is mainly in the JavaScript/NodeJS ecosystem.
It would only work alongside other languages or tech stacks.
You could host a nodejs server besides your current server application and only use it for realtime awareness data (like cursor positions) or expand it to store also the yjs documents. Everything else you can hold in you current server application.
This might not be ideal, but good for a first prototype or first fast integration.

As far as I can spot it, @dmonad works on a Rust implementation of YATA called Yrs.
But this port to Rust is quite new, so might now be stable right now (also no GitHub releases)

:v:

2 Likes