Transactions + Nested Subdocuments

Yes, that’s been my experience. Seems like they have a lot of potential, but a bit undercooked.

There is some good starter code here: How to sync thousands of documents and have local persistent store? - #6 by nokola. (Not sure why this hasn’t made it into a PR in two years. I know, we’re all busy :grin:)

Fair enough. Hopefully better support for autoLoad: true will make this easier.

I have a tree with 1 million+ nodes per user (personal knowledge management app). It’s far too much to load into memory at once, so I need lazy loading, hence I need subdocuments.

A delete operation needs to delete all descendants atomically across nodes (i.e. subdocuments).

• a
    • b
      • c
      • d

Deleting b must also delete c and d. If this were a nested Y.Map I could use transact, but I can’t do this when they are separate subdocuments.

Now for this example you might suggest using “tombstoning” or another technique to clean up orphaned nodes, but this is just one example of many multi-node operations that require atomicity, so I don’t believe any kind of solution involving post hoc clean up is sufficient.

For example, consider a command called collapse which deletes a node and moves all its children up a level. If activated on b above, it should result in:

• a
    • c
    • d

Moving multiple nodes at once should be atomic.

I’m sure I will learn a lot more once I start writing some code, but hoping to avoid putting the effort into a custom provider if there are known (or implied) limitations to consistency when building trees or graphs with subdocuments.

Which goes back to @dmonad’s quote in the OP. What exactly are the limitations of subdocuments re: atomicity? What is the alternative without losing lazy loading and granular access control?

Thanks for reading this far :sweat_smile: