Y-websocket server vs ydb for long-term persistent store of documents

Hi @anilg,

If you look in this discussion board you will find numerous persistence layers that work with Yjs. You can definitely base your own persistence approach based one of these.

There is still more work to be done. ydb was a project that was supposed to support horizontal and vertical scaling. I implemented a custom protocol that is able to sync several rooms at once. I learned my lessons and paused the project because I found no sponsors for this project.

A go implementation of Yjs’s sync protocol has a lot of merit. But by now ydb is completely deprecated and I suggest to simply start a new project if you want to.

I do plan to provide a native implementation of Yjs that will allow you to efficiently sync with little memory overhead. You can read more about my plans in How is y-leveldb coming along?

The sync protocol v1 is now frozen. There is also a v2 implementation that uses a compression approach to reduce the document size further. v2 is still experimental. Both encoding approaches will be supported in the future.

You should also have a look at y-leveldb and y-mongodb.