Caught error while handling a Yjs update RangeError

Hey folks!

I am facing an issue with persisting my data on my Ydoc which is largely driven by this error:

sync.js:86 Caught error while handling a Yjs update RangeError: Maximum call stack size exceeded
at Transaction.js:307:38
at Map.forEach ()
at cleanupTransactions (Transaction.js:307:30)
at cleanupTransactions (Transaction.js:370:9)
readSyncStep2 @ sync.js:86
readSyncMessage @ sync.js:121
applySyncMessage @ MessageReceiver.ts:70
apply @ MessageReceiver.ts:31
onMessage @ HocuspocusProvider.ts:561

Can some one help debug this? any recommendations?

Does this happen on server-side or client-side? Probably TipTap discord is your best bet finding help. I’m 99% sure it’s a problem with Hocuspocus/TipTap yjs integration.

I believe its a server side error - I have tested the code with the backend switched off and the original hocuspocus plug-ins and then the error does not seem to appear; it appears when i use the supabase postgres database - so from this i am infering it is a server side error

This is the crux of the code:

using pg client

const server = Server.configure({
port: 8080,
extensions: [
new Database({
// Return a Promise to retrieve data …
fetch: async ({ documentName }) => {

return new Promise((resolve, reject) => {
      const text = 'SELECT data FROM "documents" WHERE name = $1';
      const values = [documentName];
      console.log("documentname");
      console.log(documentName);

client.query(text, values, (err, res) => {
        if (err) {
          console.log(err);
          reject(err);
        } else {
          // console.log(res.rows[0]);
          console.log("buffer code")
          console.log(Buffer.from(res.rows[0].data.data));
          const YDOC = new Y.Doc();
          Y.applyUpdate(YDOC, Buffer.from(res.rows[0].data.data));
          console.log([...Buffer.from(res.rows[0].data.data)]);
          resolve(Buffer.from(res.rows[0].data.data));
        }
      });
    });
  },
  // … and a Promise to store data:
  store: async ({ documentName, state }) => {
    const text = `INSERT INTO "documents" ("name", "data") VALUES ($1, $2)
        ON CONFLICT(name) DO UPDATE SET data = $2`;
    console.log('state', state);
    const values = [documentName, JSON.stringify(state)];
    const res = await client.query(text, values);
    console.log('store log', res);
  },
}),

],
});

I’ll post it in discord as well.

Well you definitely need to choose whether you store the doc in JSON or in binary. Now I’m not sure which one you are using - on the other hand you’re inserting JSON with JSON.stringify(state) but then hydrating using a binary: Y.applyUpdate(YDOC, Buffer.from(res.rows[0].data.data)).

Remember to convert it back to binary with prosemirrorToYDoc and encodeStateAsUpdate (or alternatively just replace the Ydoc from the one fetched from Postgres). Or store the doc in binary in the first place.

Thanks for the reply. I will give some context about how the data is being stored, and this should shed some light on why I am using the JSON.stringify() method:

I have created a table called “documents” in Supabase. It has 3 columns: name, date and data. The data column is of jsob data type. Supabase database has jsonb data type for binary type data. The data column stores data in the following format: {“data”:[0,0], “type”:”Buffer”}.

Now when I update the database, I cannot use the state variable directly because the state variable contains data in Buffer type format. To insert this into Supabase, I have to apply JSON.stringify. For example, this makes the <Buffer 00 00>, into {“data”:[0,0], “type”:”Buffer”}, which is the manner in which I am storing data in the Supabase column. I think the data value is still of binary data type.

One question arises, that I am doing Y.applyUpdate(YDOC, res.rows[0].data.data); and using resolve(Buffer.from(res.rows[0].data.data)).

Can I also do: Y.applyUpdate(YDOC, Buffer.from(res.rows[0].data.data)) ? What is the difference between these two approaches ? Because there is not much difference between the array being stored in the Supabase (which is Unit8Array format from my current understanding) and the Buffer NodeJS format.

This is my thought process; appreciate your feedback and help on the matter.