Common Concepts & Best Practices

Intro

Venturing into the realm of Y.js, I’m impressed by its capabilities, yet grappling with comprehending specific concepts and managing potential conflict states. I’d really appreciate guidance & best practices knowledge. :slight_smile:

We are planning to build a PoC Notes App with Y.js, and in this context, an array of technical questions has surfaced.

1. Structure

a. Should every note be it’s own Y.Doc?
I.e. n(Y.doc) = n(notes)

b. Or should there be only one central Y.Doc that has a Y.Array with many Y.Maps which contain each note?

root: Y.Doc = {
   notesList: new Y.Array<Y.Map>()
};

1.2 Possible Conflict States

Let’s say there’s Group A that can have access to all notes. But Group B should only have access to a subset notesListB.

Y.Doc : {
	notesListOnlyA: [],
	notesListB: [],
}

a. What would be the state of Y.Doc that Group B receives? Will notesListOnlyA be empty for them or not even exist ?
b. If a member of Group B syncs their state back to the server, would Y.js assume, since there are no items in notesListA (as Group B was never allowed access), that the member of Group B deleted all of notesListA and tries to propagate this state ?

2. Permission/Access Management

As far as I understand, permissions should be checked on the server-side before “commit” of a client’s update to the persistent server-side database provider.

What will happen in a scenario, like above, where the client tries to update properties on the server to a state that the client has no permission to.

Or another example that might make it more clear:

• Member C adds a note Test. Member D opens it.
  • Member D disconnects X
  • Member C sets the note Test to private (not accessible by D)
  • Member D makes edits on note Test, and various other edits to other notes
  • Member D reconnects to the server

What will happens here?

• Will note Test disappear for Member D, including the content they have added to note Test ?

• When Member D reconnects: will the server (partykit) send a “access denied” for note Test property?

• Can the rest of the Member D’s data (other notes) still be synched or will the whole dataset (all that the user did while offline) be invalid?
    • Will this result in a feedback loop? E.g. will the client still try to push the update again and again as the server always denies it ?

3. Data Migration

Y.js is schema-less. However, if a client after a long time comes back online, and the dataset that they try to insert is very different from the current structure, there needs to be some migration strategy in place, right?
What’s the best practice to handle these ? Should a version number be added to each Y.Doc ?

4. General Conflict Resolution Failure Scenarios

Is there a list of common situations where convergence fails, or is not correctness, and hence we need to handle with custom code?

I’ll offer some brief thoughts.

The advantage of a single Y.Doc is:

1. storage efficiency - One Y.Doc has less overhead and maximizes use of the binary compression used to store updates.
  2. low complexity - One Y.Doc is trivial to load and sync.
  3. atomicity - Multiple notes can be edited in a transaction (not sure if that is a requirement you have).

The disadvantage of a single Y.Doc is mainly:

• The entire Y.Doc must be synced and loaded into memory. There is no way to partially load a Y.Doc, and it grows in size over time. This can affect load time and memory usage. I’ve crashed the browser with ~10k items after they accumulate some history.

There is no way to grant partial access to a Y.Doc. It’s all or nothing.

Unfortunately YJS doesn’t provide granular access control. You would have to build that out. The y-websocket server uses a simple “secret url” approach that allows per-Doc syncing and persistence to a given room name. You can send a token in the request and do additional auth yourself. You would need to build the logic for setting/changing permission and how various scenarios are handled on the client.

Migration strategy is something else that YJS lacks. I recommend searching the forums to find some hints for how others have done this. Again, it’ll be a custom job.

Luckily, that is where YJS and CRDT’s in general really shine (they’re “conflict-free”). Convergence is rock solid, and you can add additional providers for persistence, horizontal scaling, redundancy, etc.

2 Likes