Issues connecting to y-webrtc signalling server deployed on App Engine

I’m struggling to connect to a y-webrtc server that I’ve hosted on GCP’s app engine. It’s just a fork of the y-webrtc repo that I’ve deployed to app engine, specifying a node16js runtime. The server is live and can be reached at

https://strive-editor-379413.as.r.appspot.com

I’m using the WebRTC provider from y-webrtc to attempt to connect to it, but cannot. I’m trying both wss:// and ws:// protocols but neither are working. My code essentially looks as follows

import { WebrtcProvider } from "y-webrtc";
import * as awarenessProtocol from "y-protocols/awareness";

const provider = new WebrtcProvider(liveId, yDoc, {
  signaling: [
    "wss://strive-editor-379413.as.r.appspot.com",
    "ws://strive-editor-379413.as.r.appspot.com",
    "ws://localhost:4444",
  ],
  password: null,
  awareness: new awarenessProtocol.Awareness(yDoc),
  maxConns: 20 + Math.floor(random.rand() * 15),
  filterBcConns: true,
  peerOpts: {},
});
console.log("SIGNALLING:", provider.signalingConns);

If I run this locally while I have a local signalling server running, I get the following console log:

I’m able to connect to the localhost server, but not to the live one. Further, I get these error messages in the console:

websocket.js?3d02:25 WebSocket connection to 'ws://strive-editor-379413.as.r.appspot.com/' failed: 
websocket.js?3d02:25 WebSocket connection to 'wss://strive-editor-379413.as.r.appspot.com/' failed: 

I can also reproduce this in a staging server.

I’m not sure what I’m missing here? Is there a config option on GCP app engine that I need to enable (I can’t seem to find any docs on this)? Is there something in my environment that’s misisng?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated :pray:

hi , have you solved this issue i am also struggling with same

You two/anyone else ever find a solution to this?

I’ve found I need to give both a port and host value when invoking the signalling server on a remote machine:

export HOST=0.0.0.0
export PORT=<portnumber>